Your Rights

You have the right to a safe and healthy workplace.

Alberta Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) is the government agency that deals with occupational health and safety for most workers in the province. They have a hotline that anyone can call: Occupational Health and Safety Contact Centre: Edmonton: 780-415-8690, or toll free: 1-866-415-8690

You have the right to refuse unsafe work.

There are obligations for workers and employers and a process to follow if you believe you face imminent danger at work
(Right to Refuse Unsafe Work).

You have the right to report a work-related injury to the WCB.

The Alberta Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) handles claims related to work injuries and illnesses. Phone toll free 1-866-922-9221

You have the right to minimum wage, overtime, vacation pay, to be paid for training, and more. You have the right to file a complaint.

Employment Standards is the Government of Alberta agency that regulates and enforces wages, vacation pay, holiday pay, hours of work, etc. Phone 780-427-3731 in Edmonton, or toll-free 1-877-427-3731

If you are 12-14 or 15-17, check out the specific Employment Standards for employees under age 18.

You have the right to be free from harassment and discrimination at work, and the right to file a complaint.

Alberta Human Rights Commission is the agency responsible for hearing and investigating your complaints about Harassment, Discrimination, and Human Rights in the Workplace. Phone 780-427-7661 in Edmonton, or 403-297-6571 in Calgary.

Association of Alberta Sexual Assault Services is an Alberta website if you need help for yourself or someone you know who is being sexually harassed or assaulted in or outside of the workplace. You can also contact the Kids’ Help Phone: